Alethea Pounds is an Associate in the Firm’s Atlanta, GA office of Wong Fleming where her primary areas of practice include corporate law, intellectual property, technology transfer, and entertainment law, including, motion pictures, television, literary arts, sports, fashion, media, advertising, and the Internet. Ms. Pounds works with independent production companies in connection with the development, financing, production, acquisition, and distribution of feature films, documentaries, and pilot television programs. She counsels companies and organizations on corporate matters, including, formation and growth strategies, corporate governance, financing, employment matters, commercial leases, confidentiality agreements, sponsorship, brand integration deals, and other marketing-related issues.
Additionally, Ms. Pounds has experience drafting policies, procedures, and agreements in the field of technology commercialization. Her current and former clients include independent film and television production companies, screenplay writers, literary authors, nonprofit organizations, universities, and start-up companies.
Prior to joining Wong Fleming, Ms. Pounds worked as an Associate for an entertainment boutique Law Firm in Atlanta, Georgia where she provided legal services to independent motion picture and television production companies, actors, film directors, screenwriters and novelists, recording artists, music publishers, songwriters, music supervisors, and music producers. She has also worked in higher education where she drafted policies, procedures, and agreements to further technology commercialization, and protect university developed technologies, and has assisted inventors apply for government contracts and federal grants.
- Oversaw production counsel work for independent films, documentaries, and television pilot programs.
- Represented comic book producers negotiate independent artist agreements.
- Incorporated businesses and counseled clients on tax-exempt entity formation, organization and regulation, prepared and reviewed confidentiality agreements, employment agreements, and other business contracts.
- Represented small business clients in various intellectual property matters, including, copyright matters, trademark claims, provisional patents, and licensing disputes.
- Corporate Law
- Intellectual Property
- Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law
- Technology Transfer
- New York
PROFESSIONAL HONORS, AWARDS AND ACTIVITIES
- Recipient, Howard Bremer Award from the Association of University Technology Managers (2004)
- Member, Board of Advisors, Entrepreneurial Development and Assistance Center (2004 – 2006)
- “Dallas Austin Present, The Block, I’m A Writer” (Symposium, Goizuetta Business School at Emory University, Panelist, 2008).
- “Are your Rights Protected? Legal Rights in the Entertainment Business” (Sweet Auburn Film Festival, Panelist, 2007).
- “Music for the Masses: Make Sure It Has a Chance to Get Them!” (Atlanta Film Festival, Panelist, 2006).
- “Life Story Rights: Who Needs ‘Em?” (Co-Author, 2007)
- J.D., Syracuse University (2000)
- City University of Hong Kong (Summer 1997)
- B.S., Morgan State University (1996)